Student Science Literacy Workshops
Audience: High School Students
Details: The Student Science Literacy Workshop invites you and your students to visit a research institution and see cutting edge science in person. Students will have the opportunity to tour research labs and animal facilities. They will hear about current research from the scientists who are conducting the research and have a chance to ask questions. They will also be introduced to the many possible careers in biomedical research.
The workshop is free. PSBR and the hosting facility cover the cost of the workshop. PSBR provides reimbursement for the cost of renting a bus to transport students to and from the chosen facility. *Facility workshop slots fill up fast. Please submit your request as soon as possible.
Note: In order to provide an optimal experience, we ask that groups allocate a minimum of 4 hours for a workshop. We also ask that you submit your request at least 2 months prior to the date you want to attend.
The Workshop Includes:
1. Presentations and interactive discussions with researchers
2. A tour of laboratory and animal housing facilities
3. Materials to bring back to the classroom
1. Increase awareness of the benefits (to both humans and animals) of the use of animals in biomedical research.
2. Increase understanding of the humane and responsible use of animals in research.
3. Increase student awareness of the many possible science and biomedical career options.
4. Provide participants the opportunity to interact with science.
Locations: We currently offer workshops in the following cities:
• Collegeville, PA
• Denver, PA
• Hershey, PA
• Horsham, PA
• Philadelphia, PA
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Morgantown, WV
To schedule a workshop, please fill out the Student Workshop Registration Form.
To request more information, please contact Lisa Cassaro, PSBR Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-731-3559
Students ready to tour the facility during a workshop in Hershey, PA